Did you know, LearnDash was ranked one of the top 10 most popular LMS software out there? That’s a huge achievement, isn’t it?! LearnDash’s popularity is not just because of the numerous features it offers but also because of how well it integrates with other useful add-ons and plugins, to extend the functionality of any LMS.
With the platform that’s based on WordPress, this is an obvious advantage.
One cannot discount important extensions that give LearnDash its superpowers in terms of functionality and design as well as utilities. To make your life is a bit easier when it comes to choosing from the right plugins for LearnDash, we’ve curated a list of extensions that contain the best of the best products out there.
If you want to kick-start your e-learning website on LearnDash in 2020 or want better functionality, these plugins are just the ones you need. Let’s take a look.
Instructor Role is a unique plugin that adds a new dimension to LearnDash. The plugin helps the admin delegate course management responsibilities to ‘Instructors’ – who can create, edit, manage courses and evaluate students as well. This means, you can transform your single teacher website into a multi-instructor site, or even a marketplace. Instructors have a dedicated LearnDash dashboard to manage courses and earnings, but they have restricted access to the backend (for security purposes).
WISDM Instructor Role also includes a professional and customizable Instructor Profile page that can be used to share all the necessary information about instructors on your site.
Instructors can use this space to add details such as their photo, bio, expertise, qualification, courses created, ratings, and so on. Profile pages give instructors credibility and help them showcase their personality. The profile page can also be used to share contact information.
WISDM Instructor Role starts at: $80 USD.
Among the plethora of best LearnDash themes available today, the one that manages to stand out because of its focus on user experience and speed is eLumine – a premium LearnDash theme built to ensure your courses have an elegant look and feel.
eLumine boasts Neo layouts that are designed for students to have maximum readability and engagement and are fully compatible with LearnDash 3.0. Packed with three Pre-built business demos, advanced customizer options, engaging course designs, night mode, and focus mode are just a few of the 35+ awesome features eLumine possesses with several (major) updates planned later this year.
eLumine theme for LearnDash LMS starts at $100 USD.
The UnCanny Toolkit Pro packs 25 powerful modules to extend LearnDash’s basic functionality. These modules range from a variety of offerings, right from including a course dashboard, time tracking, auto-completing course content, and a whole lot more.
- Autocomplete Lessons & Topics
- Enhanced Course Grid
- Course Dashboard
- Group Login Redirect
- Lazy Loading Course Navigation
- Import Users
These are just a few of the 25+ modules this add-on offers. There’s more to look forward to in 2020.
The UnCanny Toolkit Pro starts at $149 USD.
These two plugins by Escape Creative help you transform your website’s design.
Design Upgrade Pro gives you 90+ Customiser Options to completely revamp the look of your LMS. Other than that, you can change different elements of your LMS such as Course Grid Design, Course Navigation, or create Custom Progress Bars, the LearnDash Profile page, and a whole lot more!
The same goes for the LearnDash Quiz Customiser. You can quite easily upgrade the look and feel of LearnDash quizzes in a matter of minutes. This add-on offers several Quiz customizing options such as Customize Quiz Text, Custom Quiz Colors, Quiz Question Styles, Quiz Timer Bar and so much more.
Both these plugins can help you style LearnDash LMS and elevate your brand in the coming year.
The Quiz Customizer Starts at $9 USD.
The Design Upgrade Pro starts at $29 USD a year. What a CATCH!
Engage your learners more actively with the help of notifications. The Notifications add-on developed by the core development team of LearnDash allows you to do that. You can configure various types of notifications with the help of this plugin, which are triggered whenever a specific action is taken by any of your learners.
Features of this plugin include:
- 13 different triggers: Triggers for course enrollment, course completion, course scheduling, quiz completion, passing the quiz, failing the quiz, not logging in for certain days, and many others.
- Shortcode enabled: Use dynamic shortcodes to include additional content like other courses, information from the web, and other details in your notification messages.
- Immediate or delayed notifications: You can choose whether to deliver your notifications immediately or after some delay.
This is a free add-on.
LearnDash Student Voice gives more power to students to help you improve your course content. Students can become active contributors to your LearnDash courses and add content or provide suggestions. Similar to LearnDash Ratings, Reviews, and Feedback, students can also share real-time feedback helping you make the changes needed to better the learning process.
Features of this addon include:
- Student contribution and feedback submission
- Easy access to approved feedbacks and contributions
- Shortcodes to display each student’s contribution
- Separate admin area for contribution management, and more.
The LearnDash Student Voice starts at $39.99 USD.
If you’ve used LearnDash for a while now, you’ll know that reporting in LearnDash is basic. Activities such as assignments and quizzes are tracked and others which could include H5P, Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, or iSpring modules are not. You’ll have to use an external Learning Record Store (LRS) which can lead to fragmented reports.
With Tin Canny you can have all reports in one place. The plugin supports SCORM modules and integrates LearnDash, Tin Can/xAPI and SCORM records inside WordPress.
Some features include:
- Track data for modules authored in Storyline 2, Storyline 3, and Storyline 360, Articulate Rise, Adobe Captivate 9, Adobe Captivate 2017, iSpring 8, and H5P right inside WordPress.
- Mark activities complete inside modules
- Get an overview of completed courses and Tin Can/SCORM statement trends
- Monitor course and learner activity at a glance
- Provide Group Leaders access to reports from the front-end
- Review LearnDash, Tin Can and SCORM activity by individual user and course
The TinCanny LearnDash Reporting Plugin starts at $179 USD.
Use this add-on to enable a rating and review system on your LearnDash site. With the power of feedback and reviews, you can not only improve your course content but also boost the confidence of new learners in your courses.
Key features of this plugin are as follows:
- Full control over the display of ratings: You control how your ratings and reviews are shown on the course pages. You can display them in a location of your choice, and also in an order of your choice.
- Easy accessibility of reviews for learners: Your learners can also find the relevant reviews related to the course(s) of their choice by using the sort and filter options built into this plugin.
- Only genuine reviews: Fake reviews are a big menace on most sites. This plugin weeds them out even before they’re planted because only those learners who have completed a course can post the review about that course.
The WISDM Ratings, Reviews, and Feedback extension* costs $80 per year.
*Included in LEAP (LearnDash Essential Add-ons Pack)
MailChimp is unarguably the most popular email marketing and automation platform in the world, and there’s a very high chance that you too may be using or planning to use it for your e-Learning site. This add-on makes it easier for you to integrate MailChimp with your LearnDash site so you can add learners automatically to custom email lists based on their actions in courses.
Here are some of its key features:
- Automatic generation of segmented course lists: MailChimp for LearnDash automatically generates list segments for each of your courses based on user behavior. Whenever you update any course, all subscribers in the segmented list of that course are notified automatically.
- Easy setup: Just add your MailChimp API and you’re done. It takes care of the rest on its own.
The single site license of MailChimp Integration add-on for LearnDash costs $29 per annum. On the other hand, if you need the license for five sites then it’ll cost you $39, and for unlimited sites $69 per year.
Want to add the functionality of awards, rewards, and points to your LearnDash site? The GamiPress Integration add-on can help you do that. You can reward users based on their progress in various courses with custom badges, and you can also run a reward points program completely automated in nature.
Here are some other key features of this add-on:
- Create a leaderboard: Encourage healthy learning competition among your users by creating a leaderboard that shows the points of highest scorers.
- Create reward points for any task: Your learners can also be rewarded for non-course-related tasks like forum comments, purchases, posts, etc.
- Automated emails for every reward: Just configure your emails for every type of reward only once and forget it. From that point onwards, congratulatory emails are sent automatically by GamiPress.
This add-on is Free.
Easily enroll your students in groups with the help of this LearnDash add-on from WisdmLabs. That way it helps you substantially increase your enrollments, and also helps your instructors manage their students easily.
Here are its key features:
- Assign group leaders: The plugin allows people to purchase seats for any of your courses in bulk. The bulk buyer is automatically assigned as group leader, and a group is created automatically by the plugin. A group leader can add or remove students to the course.
- View progress reports of students: Group leaders can also check the progress of each student in the group. Based on that they can pay special attention to those students who are getting left behind.
- Manage groups from the frontend: No need to create a WordPress account for Group leaders, as they can do whatever they want to do from the frontend of your site.
WISDM Group Registration plugin* is available at a price of $80.
*Included in LEAP (LearnDash Essential Add-ons Pack)
If you want to offer access to your courses on a multi-level membership basis, this plugin can come in handy for the purpose. With its help, you can create multiple levels of membership within your site, and associate each membership level with different courses.
For instance, if you’re having 3 different courses related to programming, one teaching the basics, another one teaching any popular programming language and a third one teaching web development; you can couple all of them in an Expert-level membership and whoever purchases this membership will be automatically enrolled in all 3 courses.
Similarly, you can also create a Beginner level membership associated only with the Programming basics course, and a Pro-level membership associated with the Basics course and Programming language course.
Some of its major features include:
- Associate one or multiple courses with a membership
- Auto-expire memberships after a certain time
- Trial memberships also available
And you don’t need to be concerned with its pricing too. Paid Memberships Pro starts free, and its LearnDash integration add-on is free as well.
As the name suggests, this plugin allows you to easily schedule the courses you’ve created. That way you can automate the delivery of your courses.
The key features of this plugin are as follows:
- Simple drag-and-drop based scheduling: You can drag and drop courses on a calendar built into it, and the courses get delivered to your learners automatically as per schedule decided by you.
- Preview courses dropped by you on the calendar: See how your courses will appear on the date set by you once you’ve scheduled them
- Show or hide courses on dates selected: You can also choose between whether to show courses on dates set by you or whether to show them on all dates except for the ones selected by you.
- Modify the error messages: You can change the error message your learners receive when they try to access the course on a date when it’s not available.
This is a Free plugin.
This plugin allows you to easily clone your LearnDash courses. While running an e-Learning site you may face situations when you want to copy the structure of one of your courses for the content of another course.
Or you may want to relaunch any of your courses with few modifications in the original content. In all such situations, this plugin can come really handy.
Key highlights of this plugin are:
- Create course copies easily: Clone your entire courses with intact course structure ( (i.e. hierarchy, lessons, quizzes, etc.) and content. Or copy only a few lessons, depending on your choice.
- Bulk renaming of titles: Create multiple copies of your courses with different titles. You don’t need to rename each of the titles individually as you can rename all of them in one go.
- Edit the cloned course easily with the click of a button from the cloning dialogue box itself.
WISDM Content Cloner* is a free plugin.
*Included in LEAP (LearnDash Essential Add-ons Pack)
Created by the same team of developers who have developed LearnDash, this add-on allows you to create a responsive grid library of your courses that can be inserted on any page or post.
Now, if you are using eLumine, you need not get this add-on separately because the theme already integrates this feature. However, if you are using a different eLearning theme, you will need to install Course Grid independently.
Its major features include:
- Category filters: Allows your learners to search for courses by category
- Featured video support: Show featured videos instead of images in the grid columns of your courses
- Progress bar: The course grid shows your enrolled users the progress that they’ve made in any particular course with the help of a progress bar.
You can use it to show your courses in a grid layout on any theme of your choice. Course Grid is also a free plugin.
In order to sell your courses, you’ll need a payment gateway. In case you don’t know about them, the payments made by your customers are routed to your bank account through these gateways only. Therefore, they’re a critical part of your customer experience.
Stripe works best for the purpose because of the following key features:
- Easy integration in comparison to other gateways: It can be integrated in a much easier and better manner with your LearnDash site with the help of this add-on.
- Payment without leaving your site: It also allows your learners to pay for their courses without leaving your site. That way the user experience designed by you remains in place even during the payment process.
The add-on itself is free because you already pay a certain fee to Stripe for using their payment gateway product and services.
Besides a payment gateway, you’ll also need an eCommerce plugin to sell your courses. And when you’re searching for a shopping cart solution, aimed at digital products, that works well with WordPress, there can be no better option than Easy Digital Downloads.
It has been downloaded more than 400,000 times, which should be enough as a fact to give you a sense of how good it can be for your LearnDash site. And to make things better, it also has a LearnDash extension that will make its integration with your site much easier.
Its key features include:
- Easy course mapping: Just create a product in EDD, and you can easily map it to one of your courses by checking a checkbox and selecting your course from the dropdown menu.
- Associate multiple courses: You can also create products that are “packages” of courses related to each other by associating multiple courses with a single product.
- Auto-enrollment of users: No need to enroll the users after a successful purchase. EDD enrolls them automatically in associated courses.
Easy Digital Downloads is available free of cost.
Finally, we would like to conclude our list with the WISDM Quiz Reporting extension, which allows you to get a detailed look at the progress of your students in their respective courses. It provides detailed reports about all the quizzes you create on your LearnDash site.
Here are some of the ways in which its reporting tools help you:
- Detailed reports with charts and individual responses
- Export results to Excel or CSV files
- Share results with instructors so they too can get an idea about their students and course material
The price of WISDM Quiz Reporting Extension* is $80 per year.
*Included in LEAP (LearnDash Essential Add-ons Pack)
As we head into the mid-year of 2020, make sure your LearnDash site it up to the mark for all your students, and for you to manage it with ease. Despite the ongoing pandemic, these plugins will help you sustain and grow your LearnDash LMS with all the functionality they have to offer. So, what are you waiting for? Grab them right away. And if you have any questions, you know what to do – the comment section is open for discussion!