E-learning systems have changed the perspective of learning altogether, by creating comprehensive, systematic, and self-paced learning. However, this self-controlled learning environment has a downside. It may affect the learning discipline and distract students. If the motivation isn’t strong enough, then students may lose interest and the complete idea of e-learning would be ineffective.
Engaging students and keeping them motivated throughout the course is the need of the hour.
Gamification can inculcate the spirit of competition in students. The struggle for the crown or virtual currency literally amuses them. Therefore, use of gamification in elearning systems proves to be a strong mechanism to ramp up competitiveness.
Learning through games is another way to drive complete attention and engage the learners. An exponentially increasing percentage of youngsters spending time in gaming is evidence of this fact.
If this is the case, is it possible to use the idea of gaming in a non-gaming environment of learning?
Certainly yes! The set pattern of e-learning involving tutorials and tests can be remoulded by using games and gamification to make it more engaging.
Gamification: A play-way method to motivate students, boost interest, and enhance education
Gamification is, essentially, application of gaming mechanisms in a non-game context. In simple terms, it is an approach that makes existing tasks feel more like games where users compete to score more. It creates virtual scenarios and makes learners apply their knowledge, skills, and experiences to complete tasks for progressing to the next level.
Adapting gamification in elearning systems with the intent of making it interesting and powerful is indeed a good initiative!
The basic principle of gamification is awarding points after completing tasks or clearing levels. This strategy amplifies the effect of core learning. It affects the learners’ perspective towards their task and ultimately their approach of tackling it. Badges or progress bars on the screen catch the students’ attention, improving involvement and productivity.
Incorporate Gamification into your LearnDash website
Introducing gamification to your LearnDash website means creating a game-like environment into your courses. To get a clearer idea, let’s see how can you transform your LearnDash courses into a fun-learning activity.
- Create a rule-based structure and a fair scoring system
- Challenge students to complete tasks and grab points
- Reward certain points to the students on course completion
- Grand points on successfully completing a quiz
- Assign multiple paths to advance to the final goal
- Set points depending on the factors like difficulty level, path chosen, or the number of attempts taken to clear the task
You can set up group-based activities as well:
- Make teams of the students taking your course
- Assign tasks to them and make them strive for points to advance further
- Provide limited hours or days to complete the challenge
- Reward bonus points, stars or caps on success
- Collect results of all activities and maintain the scorecard of every individual/team to assess performance
- Display top scorers and their accomplishments on the homepage
- Award concessions to the winners in the future courses
Gamification can tap into the psyche of the learners and make your LearnDash courses super exciting!
Integrating gamification into your LearnDash website is as simple as installing any other plugin. Several gamification plugins compatible with LearnDash are available. All you have to do is look for the reward systems offered by these plugins and select the one that’s suitable for your requirements and type of course content.
Some of the popular gamification plugins for LearnDash include BadgeOS, Captain Up, Punch Tab, etc. These plugins enable you to add badges, rewards, multiple currencies, and much more to your LearnDash website.
Engage and examine learners through games
In addition to a gamification plugin, you would also need a plugin to build custom games for your courses. Plugins like FlashCard, Game based leaderboard system, Wisdm Games are some of the options to add games in your LearnDash courses.
Let’s take a look at one of these plugins in detail.
Wisdm Games: Prominent Features
Wisdm Games enables you add quirky games to your LearnDash courses and create a stress-free environment to examine students. The prominent features include:
- Interesting Game Types: 3 interesting and popular game types, Hangman, Millionaire, and Crossword.
- Unlimited Number of Games: Create unlimited number of games of various genres. Create games for every module or at the end of the course.
- Easy import/export of Question-Answers: Import/export questions and answers in bulk, directly in a CSV format.
- Multiple Difficulty Levels: Set up several difficulty levels in each game and vary the number of questions
- Limit Attempts: Set the number of attempts for every question, task, or game
- Award Points: Give points for every correct answer or successful task
- Question Sequence Builder: Arrange the sequence of questions using a drag-and-drop builder
With games and gamification plugins you can create a full-features gamified learning to engage learners on your LearnDash site!
Gamification is a promising way of promoting learning to the tech-savvy generation. It creates a healthy competition among the learners by,
- Generating short-term goals and constant challenges at every level
- Enabling learners to apply acquired knowledge in simulated environment in a meaningful context
- Providing instant results and feedback to know the performance
- Rewarding points and creating a sense of accomplishment
- Allowing students to test their own potential to the fullest
Undeniably, it gives them freedom to explore, experience, and improve in a fun-filled environment.
What’s your take on empowering your LearnDash website with gamification to amplify the learning experience?
If you have questions or suggestions, don’t forget to post them right into the comment box!