How does the Table of Contents Plugin Work?The plugin generates anchor tags according to the HTML heading tags for the post or page, i.e., <h1>, <h2>, <h3>, <h4>, to create a list of content. The table of contents is then styled and presented according to your settings. Having HTML header tags helps better structure your article too.
You can customize the Position and Appearance of the Table of ContentsThere are several options provided to customize your Table of Contents according to your preference.
- You can select the position of the table of contents, in your post or pages. By default the position is ‘before the first heading’. This means that the table of contents will be displayed before the first heading tag in your post or page. You can change it to top, bottom, or after first heading.
- You can decide when the table of contents will appear. By default, the plugin will display table of contents if a post or page has more than 4 heading tags. You can change that to a lower or higher number.
- You can choose to set the table of contents for different content types like the pages, posts, products and so on.
- This plugin comes with a few default skins to set the appearance. There is also an option to create your own custom style for your table of content box.
- You can also display the table of content box in your sidebar widget.