Offering quality courses and onboarding the best teachers might get you the eyeballs.
But, to sustain and grow your eLearning business in the long run – you need to know exactly how your students are performing and engaging with your courses, at all times.
And, since the evaluation is online – tracking student participation in discussions, pinpointing the lessons they are struggling with, and giving detailed feedback can be a challenge.
Moreover, assessing their online performance is fairly difficult. Your basic student reporting tools tell you about the no. of lessons the student has completed or the marks he/she has scored. In fact, they might even let you track their progress on lesson or quiz completion.
But, is that enough?
Look beyond the basic reporting
Basic reports don’t give you enough data to gauge how much the student has actually understood.
To ensure the success of your eLearning website, you need to step up your game. Basic reporting is common. Everybody uses it.
You need to think out of the box.
Access different types of advanced student report to gain in-depth analysis and figure out actionable insights.
With advanced student reports in your artillery, you can track your students’ performance accurately and paint a better understanding of how well the student is doing. Plus, it’ll even help your Teacher Instructor figure out better ways to keep the students engaged.
Types of Online Reports
There are different stakeholders involved in eLearning in different capacities. Hence, having a detailed analysis and report is important for each of them.
To understand the importance of online reports, we’ve divided the stakeholders into 3 categories:
- Website Admin (You)
- Teachers or Course Instructors (Your associate course creators and managers)
1. Importance of Advanced Reports for Admin
As an admin, you need to plan and take important decisions relating to your business, courses, students, teachers, structure, etc.
And, to do this, you need solid actionable insights into different aspects of your eLearning business.
For e.g: Viewing any student(s) progress report and checking the number of quizzes/lessons they’ve attempted, completed, their scores, the class average, comparisons, etc.
Such in-depth analysis and reports will help you:
- Gauge your student(s) performance – The results and the answers in a quiz, lesson, etc. will enable you to identify weaker students and plan out extra classes or other solutions to help them increase their scores.
- Measure the performance of your Instructors – The class average and the % of students that have passed with distinction, first-class, or failed will indicate the efficiency of your Instructors.
- Chart out actionable insights – Depending on the analysis, you can plan the next course of action. For e.g: You can suggest changes in the course(s) if needed.
- Market your courses – The passing percentage in a particular course, the feedback, etc. can help you market your courses and increase sign-ups.
2. Importance of Advanced Reports for Teachers/Course Conductor
Providing an extensive analysis and reports for Teachers with respect to their own courses is extremely important.
For e.g: Teachers viewing different aspects of the student(s) progress reports can check out the number of students who’ve passed/failed their course, time taken to complete a lesson, overall performance of the class, no. of questions answered correctly, etc.
These student progress reports will help the Teachers in:
- Identifying the struggle areas – The questions answered incorrectly or the time taken to finish a particular test can help Teachers identify the scope for improvement in student(s) and accordingly design actionable.
- Measuring the performance of their group leaders – The analysis will help them gauge the capabilities of their group leaders. Accordingly, the Teacher can develop actionable for their group leaders to follow and implement.
- Making changes in their course to improve engagement – The detailed report will enable the Teachers to make edits in their courses in order to make them more effective and engaging.
- Paying extra attention to weaker students – It’ll become easier for teachers to identify students who’re falling behind, help them cope up with their scores, and possibly conduct extra classes for them.
- Improving their own efficiency – These reports reflect the quality of the Teacher’s course. And this will motivate them to continuously work towards improvement in order to increase signups and their commissions.
3. Importance of Advanced Reporting for Students
For students, keeping track of their own progress is an equally important factor. And, online reports act as a medium to keep students in line with their personal goals.
For e.g: Student reports can help them keep tabs and gather details on their individual lesson completion duration, no. of quiz retakes, marks scored in different subjects/quizzes, no. of questions answered incorrectly, etc.
And, access to these reports will help the student(s) to:
- Reflect on their overall performance – the detailed insights with an overview of the student(s) overall performance will give them an idea of where they stand in comparison to their peers.
- Realign with their goals – Student reports will motivate them to study harder. For e.g: if they’ve scored less than their class average, then this comparison will push them to work harder and score more in the next attempt.
- Reach out to Teachers for more help – Students can identify the areas of challenge based on their individual reports and reach out to their Teachers for help in overcoming those shortcomings.
Furthermore, in case you’re running a K-12 academy, these student reports can also be downloaded by the pupil’s parents. This will help them gain better insights and understanding about their child’s academic progress and performance.
With that being said, the need for different stakeholders to access and analyze advanced student reports is extremely valuable for your online learning business. After all, it helps you stay on your toes at all times, enables you to grow, and be ahead of your competition.
Now that you know its importance, the next thought to probably pop in your head might be
Ok, but, What about its implementation? ?
Well, don’t you worry. We’ve got you covered 🙂
There are some platforms like Moodle that offer extensive reporting systems. However, today we’re going to be looking at different options available to set up online reports with a rather popular and powerful LMS – LearnDash.
How to Set up Online Reports in LearnDash
So, LearnDash, by default offers basic reporting capabilities such as student scores, time taken to complete a quiz, etc. Unfortunately, there is too little data or insights available for stakeholders to act on and incite decisions.
Hence, having an extensive student reporting system for LearnDash is necessary for:
- Logical and data-backed actionable insights for different stakeholders.
- Carrying out an in-depth evaluation, analysis and accurately tracking students’ performance and progress.
- Improving learning paths.
- Marketing your courses and increasing student signups.
- Evaluating Teachers’ performance.
And, to set up these insightful reporting systems, there are additional plugins available that’ll let you add advanced reporting capabilities to LearnDash.
Here are some of the plugins you can use to set up advanced reporting in LearnDash:
Developed by WisdmLabs, this is a popular LearnDash extension that specializes in providing detailed student progress reports. It focuses on students’ quiz performance, its thorough analysis, and gives better insights to incite decision-making.
Moreover, you can generate and export reports for all students and all quizzes. In addition, this can even be done for a per-student on a per-quiz basis or for all-students on a per-quiz basis depending on your needs.
Having said that, it also comes with an absolutely smashing intuitive interface and advanced reporting fields. And, this makes viewing and understanding student reports super easy.
Key Features of WISDM Quiz Reporting Extension
- Enables Teachers/Instructors, Group Leaders, and Students to access and analyze quiz statistics and responses at a quiz or student level.
- Lets admins and Teachers download data related to course category, course progress, and quiz results.
- Download quiz data using a date range, student name, and many other filters.
- Gain detailed reports with charts and individual responses.
- Allows students to download their quiz reports and keep track of their progress.
- Comes with a clean, smart, and organized user interface for admins, teachers, and students.
You can check out the Live Demo to explore the plugin and its functionality.
User Insights is an add-on that helps you search and analyze your LearnDash user activity. It gives you reports related to courses completed, the course in progress, course engagement, number of quizzes passed, etc.
You can use the user table and filters to search and analyze your user list based on their LearnDash activity. This plugin provides insights into several different course-related fields.
Key Features of User Insights
- Filter and search for data related to courses completed, courses in progress, course engagement, course activity details, etc.
- Find the most or least active students by sorting the student list based on lessons/topics completed.
- Adjust your quiz difficulty level based on reports related to quiz retakes and quiz attempts.
- Lets you download and export the user insights in a CSV format for future reference.
- Presents report analysis using pie charts and bar graphs.
Unfortunately, there’s no live demo available. You’ll have to rely on reviews and feedback to gauge its effectiveness.
This is a comprehensive reporting plugin that highlights LearnDash earner activity trends. It presents course reports to see where your learners stand across all of your courses.
Furthermore, it also drills deeper to provide reports on student lessons and quiz activities.
You can check out reports on an individual and course level. With that being said, it even allows your group leader to access the same reports for the groups they control. This makes it easier for them to make decisions quickly.
Additionally, it also supports SCORM modules and integrates H5P and xAPI records inside WordPress.
Key Features of Tin Canny LearnDash Reporting
- Enables you to monitor course and learner activity at a glance through an intuitive dashboard.
- Supports SCORM module and has the ability to generate reports that combine LearnDash quiz scores with SCORM/xAPI scores.
- Allows you to provide front-end access of the reports to the Group Leaders to help them track student progress easily.
- Allows you to compile LearnDash, SCORM, xAPI, and H5P data into a single report to get a clear picture of student performance and activity.
You’ll have to check out its reviews to understand its performance since a Live Demo isn’t available.
All 3 plugins do a brilliant job of providing detailed and insightful student reports. However, we suggest checking out the WISDM Quiz Reporting Extension. Because it doesn’t just come with powerful reporting features but it also holds a great track record when it comes to support and after-sales services.
So, if you’re looking for an uncomplicated yet advanced reporting add-on, you should try WISDM Quiz Reporting Extension.
Student reports are an important and the most fundamental part of online learning. You’ll uncover insightful user behavior the deeper you dig into the quiz reports.
Hence, the need to go beyond a simple quiz reporting tool is a must to grow in these competitive times.
And, with a good reporting plugin, you can easily generate detailed student progress reports. These in-depth analyses and reports will allow you to understand the students better, identify their problem areas, and help you formulate actions to improve their learning.
Moreover, important stakeholders like your Admin, Teachers, Group Leaders, and Students in your LearnDash website with access to these advanced reports will be able to learn, perform, engage, and develop plans to better their performance.
With that being said, if you have any concerns or doubts, feel free to comment on the post below. We’ll be happy to answer them 🙂