PDF Auto Fill Installation and User Guide
Important Notice for Gravity Forms to PDF Auto-Fill buyers: Please inquire with your service provider regarding the addition of the PDFTK library files, prior to purchasing this plugin. The PDFtk library is not compatible with CentOS 7. Refund requests will NOT be entertained if prerequisites are not met.
Once you purchase and install the plugin, you will need the license key sent, to activate it. You also need to install the PDFTK library on your website’s server. If your website is hosted on a shared server, you will need to contact the service administrator to include the library in your server’s root folder.
To put the plugin to use you will need to do the following:
Step 1: Create a Gravity Form
You have to start by creating a Gravity Form. Once you’ve created the form, you can add the required fields.
Step 2: Create a PDF Template
Next, you’ll have to create a PDF Template. You can create a PDF Template using Adobe Acrobat Pro, or online using PDFEscape. In your PDF Template, you’ll have to add the fields you added in the Gravity Form. In PDFEscape, the values which have to be filled using the Gravity Form have to be added as form fields.
Next, you’ll have to map the form fields to the fields in the PDF template.
Step 3: Map Form Fields to the PDF Template
To map form fields, go to the Dashboard, PDF Auto Fill -> Form Fields Names. To map a single field, you’ll have to copy the field id – displayed next to the field name, and then set it as the name of the field in your PDF template.
To set the same of the field in your PDF template, right-click on the field, go to Object Properties, and copy the value as the name of the field and save.
Do note: For select fields such checkbox, radio buttons, drop-down list, the value which has been selected by the user will be mapped to the PDF Template.
Once you’ve mapped the form fields, save and download the created PDF template.
Step 4: Upload the PDF Template
You have to now upload the created PDF template and publish it. To upload a PDF template go to PDF Auto Fill -> PDF Templates and click ‘Add New’. Add a name, and select and upload the created PDF template from your computer. Once uploaded, publish it.
Step 5: Create an Email Template
Next, you have to create an Email Template. Go to PDF Auto Fill -> Email Templates. This email will be sent along with the attached PDF once a user has filled a Gravity Form. To enter a field value from the form, you’ll have to enter the field id, in the following format #field_id#.
Step 6: Map the Gravity Form to the PDF Template & the Email Template
The last step is to map the Gravity form with the PDF and email template you’ve just created. Go to PDF Auto Fill – Templates Mapping. Select the Gravity Form, the PDF Template, and the email template and save the mapping.
Now when a user now fills and submits the Gravity Form on your website, an email will be sent with the attached PDF.
How to map checkboxes & radio-buttons?
- Once the checkbox is added to the form, set the values for each label option for the choices.
- While creating the PDF, to add a checkbox, add a form field.
- Select the type of the field as ‘checkbox’.
- Place the field on the desired location on the PDF. Right, click to view the object properties of this ‘checkbox’.
- An ‘Export value’ field is available in the object properties. Add the ‘Value’ of one of the choices from the form on this field.
- For multiple options (choices) of a checkbox, add those many choices and add the respective values to the ‘Export Value’ field.
- Save this PDF.
The same can be followed for radio buttons.
Conditional Mapping of PDF Templates
- The plugin has a feature to work with conditional variables. You can add check boxes on the form and these can be used as the conditional variables.
- You can map the form with multiple PDF templates and each mapping can be associated with a conditional variable.
- When you have conditional mapping, the associated PDF will be emailed to the user based on the value the user has selected (at the time of filling the form)
- Conditional variables should be made available as check boxes on the form.
- While mapping the form with the templates, you need to enter the ‘Form Field Name’ of the associated checkbox for each PDF template. Each value can be mapped with a different PDF and email template which the user will receive when the form is submitted.
- When the user selects one option, the template mapped for that value will be selected and the data will be added to the associated PDF template.
For example, you can give the user 2 checkboxes, 1 for PDF 1 and 2 for PDF 2. Depending on which option the user selects, that PDF will be emailed to the user.
- New: Compatibility with Gravity Forms 2.3.*
- New: Added functionality to generate and download/email the PDF file from the form entries page
- Improvement: Delete the PDF file after it is sent from the frontend.
- Improvement: Delete the files from the results folder every hour (GPDR compliance)
- Improvement: Updated license code
- New: Compatibility with advanced fields
- Improvement: Template mapping based on ID
- Improvement: Licensing code updated
- Improvement: View form fields code modified
- Improvement: Fetched path of PDFTK and used in the command
- Bug Fix: Support for apostrophe char
- New: Non-UTF characters support
- Improvement: Using field values from the Gravity Form entry if the field is empty in the POST variable
- Improvement: Converted to PSR2 compatible
- Improvement: Updated the licensing code
- Improvement: Template mapping removed when form, pdf, or email is trashed or deleted
- Improvement: Trashed form removed from drop down list in the template mapping
- Improvement: Changed gravity forms’ dependency on activation
- Improvement: Older gravity forms can also be selected
- Improvement: Restored email template does not appear in drop down list till it is updated
- Bug Fix: Solved design issue in the template mapping table
- Bug Fix: Miscellaneous errors
- New: Feature for time fields to use time fields added
- Bug Fix: Issue with Form Field Names fixed
- Bugs Fix: General fixes
- Plugin Released