Early this month, wordpress released WordPress 3.0. It is an early beta version. The team is still working on this release.
This release has a revised user interface. Some of the many features in this release that are pretty interesting are:
- Custom Menu system: Jane Wells in the blog does mention that this is not finished. New functionality will be added and layout will be improved.
- Merge of WordPress MU and WordPress: WordPress MU is similar to WordPress but allows users to run multiple sites under one installation. This is again in its early stage and needs to be tested thoroughly. wordpress.com is actually a wordpress MU site where it holds multiple blogs of so many users.
- Custom Background: You can now add a custom background image to your admin panel which will replace the default color that currently exists. The theme should also support this option to use this feature. The default theme in this release supports it.
- Author Specific Template: You can now have a specific template per author with a short bio for each and picture.
- Choose Username when Installing WordPress: Till now, the first user that you create to login into the system has been “admin”. With this release, you can create a username which no longer needs to be “admin” and hence keep the hackers guesing of the username to login.
- Welcome Guide: What was missing till now is a WordPress Guide. Now, available is a wordpress guide that helps user get familiar with using wordpress.
- New Theme: Twenty Ten is the new theme that comes as a default theme in this release. This theme allows to customize the default background of admin panel and more.
Get the new wordpress now.