With every customization, solution or functionality that we provide we endeavor to make solutions simpler for both the website visitors as well as website administrators. And with every new requirement that we are faced with we just keep getting better at it. On that note here’s one more solution from our bag of goodies. It’s a requirement that is sure to prove beneficial to all Event Espresso users out there.
Ok…so now that I have captured the attention of all Event Espresso users let me get straight to the point without any further ado. In this post I am mainly going to talk about how visitors on an Event Espresso website can be provided with a functionality to search events based on their current location.
How will you allow Website Visitors to Search Events by Location?
1. Customize Event Espresso
- If you have an event management website built on Event Espresso and if you are searching for a method to allow website visitors to be able to search events by their location then some customizations would be involved.
- To achieve this functionality your Event Espresso plugin will have to be customized to integrate it with Google’s Places API.
- For those of you who are wondering what is the Places API, it is a service provided by Google that returns information about places. In our case it will return a list of places based on the user’s location.
2. Generate API Key
- Once Event Espresso has been appropriately customized, administrator will be provided with an option to configure the Places API to start using the functionality.
- The website admin will have to enable the Places API and generate an API key from the Google Developers Console.
- Once this API has been generated it should be added to the appropriate field provided in the admin dashboard.
3. Set Latitude and Longitude for Venues
- Now that the Event Espresso and Places API integration has been set up the user will have to add latitude and longitudes for event venues.
- The latitude and longitude for a venue will be added in custom fields provided on the venue page.
Now that you have completed the three steps above your work as a website admin has been completed.
How will website visitors search events based on their location?
- Once the functionality to search events by users location has been implemented on your website there isn’t much that is left to be done on the website visitors end.
- A simple web interface is provided using which the events within a predefined distance from the users current location are listed.
- Alternatively, the user can specify a distance within which he is searching for available events.
- Now based on the user’s IP address his geographical location is identified. These location attributes are then compared with the location attributes of the various venues and events that fit within the user’s specified limit are displayed to the user.
As, a WordPress practitioner I would recommend that all Event Espresso users should incorporate this functionality into their website as it will make location based search process easier for the users. And when the time required to fetch required information is reduced the users keep coming back for more which means repeat clients. Sounds great… doesn’t it? So, don’t keep your keep your website visitors searching for events on your websites. Implement the search functionality and make the search process simpler and shorter for your website visitors!
You may also like to Read: Event Search (Could Be) Made Easy in Event Espresso
Images by freepik