On September 27th, LearnDash came up with a major update to the core plugin, with improved functionality and much awaited features.
With performance and reporting improvements, this update benefits developers as well as plugin users.
But let’s face it, upgrades are scary, especially major ones. Is there something you need to worry about before upgrading to LearnDash version 2.3?
Let’s find out.
Quiz Review Option and Improved Reporting
With this update, students can now review answers, for quizzes attempted in the past.
When a student attempts a quiz in LearnDash, there is an option to review quiz answers, once the quiz is completed. But that’s all. Once the student closes the window or navigates to the next lesson or course, there isn’t an option to review quiz answers.
Now, with v2.3, students have an option to review answers as needed. Under each student’s profile, there is an additional ‘Statistics’ column added.
Upon clicking statistics for a particular quiz, the student will be able to review quiz details.
Of course the admin has the option to allow (or hide) the display of statistics on students’ profiles.
Apart from this, admin has the capability to view quiz statistics for all users per quiz or per user as well.
- Under Quizzes >> (Quiz) >> Statistics, the admin can view quiz results of all users who’ve attempted the quiz. And the performance of a particular user, by clicking on the username.
- Under a student’s profile, the admin can view all quizzes attempted by the student and the stats for the quiz.
Until now only students who had received a certificate, had the option to print it from their profile. Now, an admin user can print certificates of students too.
Under each user profile, LearnDash adds a summary of courses and quizzes attempted. Along with these details, there is an option to download the associated certificate as well.
Admin Profile Updates
- The admin user can now see the ‘Group Administration’ menu
- Admin users are not included in reports by default. This can be changed via a filter
Selective Display of Course Content
LearnDash shortcodes- which were available to selectively display content on courses- can now be used anywhere on your e-learning website.
The shortcodes under Courses >> Course Shortcodes, can be added on any page to display user or group specific content.
[course_content course_id="123"] This shortcode will show course content table for course ID 123. [/course_content course_id="123"]
Shortcodes can also be nested to further refine content display.
There are additional shortcodes added as well:
- ld_group: to display content specific to a group.
- ld_course_expire_status: to display course expiry date
- student (modified): to include the course_id parameter, to display content specific to students belonging to a particular course
- ld_profile (modified): to include sorting and ordering attributes when displaying student profiles (course progress, quiz stats and certificates list)
Optimized Data Storage
This update is quite possibly the most major improvement in terms of how LearnDash stores user data. But as an LMS administrator, this shouldn’t affect you or your students.
New database tables have been added to store user course and quiz tracking data. This change has been brought about to support the ProPanel update.
Now, when you update to the latest version, you’ll have to make sure your data is safely ported to the updated tables. For this reason you’ll have to go to the Settings >> Upgrade Data tab and click on ‘Upgrade User Course Data‘ and ‘Upgrade User Quiz Data‘.
Do note, these changes have to be made once you update to version 2.3.
LearnDash version 2.3 is certainly a welcome change. The reporting features have been greatly improved, and the database updates will make for optimized plugin performance.
Make sure you update your plugin at the earliest.
Facing problems or need assistance? Handover your LearnDash LMS maintenance worries to us!