Implementing a Corporate e-Learning System is a challenge.
Whether you’re setting it up yourself or have hired a specialist, you know all too well that the challenge begins at the very first step – the selection of the appropriate LMS platform!
The reason, of course, is the abundance of options in the market.
In this wide space, WordPress is soon gaining popularity owing to its simplicity and flexibility; and is a popular choice to set up your corporate e-learning system.
So, to make your job a bit easier, in this article, we’ll unfold 6 WordPress plugins that are dominating the corporate LMS market.
We hope this article brings in more clarity and vision in choosing your corporate e-learning system platform.
So let’s begin.
Leading Course Management Features to Consider for a corporate e-learning system
When choosing an LMS platform it’s important to list down the features that you would want on your corporate e-learning system.
Popular features include tiered courses, advanced quizzes, detailed reporting, and more. Keeping this in mind, let’s evaluate our options.
#1 Multi-tiered Courses
This is a basic feature of any learning system and is necessary to design a systematic and structured course that follows a Course – Lessons – Topics – Subtopics hierarchy.
The advantage of such modular content is ease of navigation, understanding, and correlation of topics.
While all LMS Plugins have this feature, the difference lies in the level of hierarchies the plugins present. For example, LearnDash offers a three level hierarchy, while Sensei, by default, offers only two levels.
#2 Drip-feed Content
This is a must-have feature to keep all course members working on the same schedule. With this feature, Admin has the control over releasing the course content on a scheduled date/time or on completion of certain prerequisites.
#3 Advanced Quizzes
Quizzes are essential to examine learners and track their progress. And in the corporate e-learning world, quizzing might be the most important feature you need.
With varied questions types, like multiple-choice, single-word answers, drag-and-drop and essays, you can assure thorough assessment of your employees.
Quizzes are a part-and-parcel of all LMS solutions. However, the options available will need to be weighed against each other.
#4 User Profile
User Profiles give a personal space to every user and display data associated with him/her. The primary user profiles you should be on the lookout for are:-
- Admin: a primary user profile that has complete control over all of the courses and can manage various activities like user enrollment, group/course creation and more.
- Student: this is your employee profile. A student takes courses and earns certificates on course completion.
- Instructor: if you have multiple instructors for different courses you offer, you need this role. An instructor can create/edit courses and manage students enrolled into that course.
#5 Payment Options
Multiple secure payment options are convenient when offering paid courses.
Most LMS platforms support payment through secured payment gateways like PayPal, WePay or Credit/ Debit Card or have extension plugins for this task.
While the above might cover primary features, other needed features might be present in the LMS platform or might be available as extension Plugins.
Now, moving on to our LMS platforms of choice. Let’s have a look at the 6 leading WordPress LMS Plugins for a corporate e-learning system.
WordPress LMS Plugins for Corporate Course Management
#1 LearnDash ($199)
LearnDash is a premium LMS plugin packed with features to meet most of the corporate LMS requirements. In addition, it is responsive across all mobile devices; thus, learners can access courses from anywhere.
- Group Registration: This plugin will help you register multiple employees at once for a single course
- Ratings, Reviews, and Feedback Plugin: With this plugin, you can get employees to rate your courses and review them to help you improve the training process
- Instructor Role Plugin: LearnDash by default does not have an instructor role. This plugin helps you bridge the gap when you have multiple instructors managing your training
#2 WP Courseware ($99)
WP Courseware is yet another big name in the LMS sector that covers all basic features. It is easy to use and flexible to create large or small online courses. And with the latest version, you have the Instructor Role integrated as well.
It does not have inbuilt payment gateway options for selling courses online. However, it supports integration with eCommerce and membership plugins to achieve the same.
- MemberMouse: This plugin by allows assigning WP Courseware courses to a group or membership level. Upon product purchase by the group leader, group members are automatically enrolled in related courses.
- BuddyPress: With this plugin, you can transform individual learning into a socially interactive one. Course members have their private group to communicate and share information.
- WP Courseware Notes: Taking quick notes while learning is possible with this valuable plugin. It lets a member take, share and print notes.
#3 LifterLMS (Free)
LifterLMS is an all-in-one LMS solution suitable for corporate learning with numerous basic and advanced functionalities.
LifteLMS provides ample inbuilt features, like employee profile, group membership, follow-up emails, device responsiveness, payment gateways, gamification and more.
With a paid membership, you get bonus benefits like Customer Support and add-ons like Exclusive Promotion options, Splendid Graphic Design.
Plugins you may like to install
- LifterLms Private Areas: Enables collaborative learning, by allowing course instructors and members to have their private space for course related discussion and information sharing.
- Gravity Forms: Indispensable Plugin to create customized forms for event registration or learner’s course feedback. It’s a great tool to add a point of action before the learner exits the final course page.
#4 LearnPress (Free)
LearnPress is a lightweight, high quality, free WordPress LMS plugin, that has innovative functionality and supports WordPress multisite. What’s more is that there are several free and premium add-ons that contribute to empowering LearnPress!
- LearnPress Course Review: Brings in review feature for your courses. Employees can rate and give feedback of the course.
- GradeBook: To efficiently track learner progress
- Co-Instructors: Lets multiple instructors take classes for the same group. Co-instructor can access and edit his/her own course content only.
- Collections: Allows grouping of related courses into collections. It helps learners find and take related courses of their interest.
#5 Sensei ($129)
With Sensei LMS by Woothemes, course creation is super easy like creating a post or page. The plugin has a bundle of features sufficient to create neat, small-scale, online corporate courses.
The Course Analytics feature is inbuilt for tracking a learner’s course reports and grades.
It does not support payment gateways, however, courses can be sold easily with WooCommerce integration.
Sensei Recommended Extensions
- Sensei Course Participants: An extension for sharing course feedback and reviews. A learner can view the number of people already taking the course and link to their profile to know more about their review for the course.
- Sensei Media Attachment: With this, the course author can attach media files to course content for additional reading material.
- Sensei Content Drip: Useful in regulating content flow and scheduling it in specified intervals to keep the group of learners on the same learning calendar.
- Sensei Course Progress: Learner can track his/her current position on the course landscape. It creates a side widget with module/lesson completion indicator
CoursePress is a trusted and comprehensive LMS platform that works on WordPress and WordPress multisite too! It’s available in two versions CoursePress (free) and CoursePress Pro (paid).
It is a professionally designed LMS platform to accommodate all the features a corporate e-learning system would possibly need. It includes:
- Course preview ‘teasers’
- Manual and Automated Assessment Facility
- Detailed Reporting
- Multiple-Instructor Role
- Media Integration
- Drip Release Content
- Interactive Forum for Course Members
- Quiz Upload and Download
- Multiple Payment Gateways
On the scale of popularity, pricing, features, and ease-of-use, LearnDash leads the contingent of WordPress LMS plugins!
LearnPress is another option equipped with inbuilt and add-on features. Being free, it’s a risk-free bet.
WP Courseware cannot lag behind; its inbuilt versatile features and extensions add it as a strong contender in the LMS plugins race.
All the corporate e-learning system plugins discussed here contribute their bit to enrich the corporate learning experience. Wise selection of a core LMS plugin along with extensions matching your requirements, and keeping your budget in check, will take your corporate training website to the next level!
Feel like adding a plugin to our list? Let us know your suggestions and experiences through comments below!